A Manual for Every Self-Prescribing Health Prepper
Prepared By Zara Bourgeois, B.Sc, CCH
The purpose of this manual is to arm every household with easy-to-follow comprehensive guide to the most common and effective homeopathic remedies with general guideline for self-prescribers. Highly virulent and potentially deadly respiratory viral strains, such as those causing COVID-19, have been of great concern.
It is always a good idea to be well prepared and stock up your home apothecary with a good arsenal of homeopathic remedies, gemmotherapy tinctures and supplements. Everyone knows that prophylaxis is best for preventing the oh so dreaded flu and common cold. But life happens!
This manual contains pearls and gems from my own practice as well as carefully curated material, based on statistically significant successes of homeopathic treatment in times of epidemic (see actual testimonials at the end).
From experience and observations we know that in influenza epidemics one remedy will cover the majority of cases in a certain geographic area, while a different remedy may prove to be the Genus epidemicus in a different locality. This indicated remedy is not a constant. After a few weeks the symptoms may change and call for another remedy. There are also occasional cases where other remedies will be required. The Genus epidemicus also has seasonal variation. The best prescribers are those who take the case on thorough observation and not on symptoms alone. If you take the case on symptoms alone you may end up confused as you discover how many of our homeopathics present with great degree of similarity in common symptoms. Remedy differentiation relies on accessing the individual’s particular case and accounting for the peculiar signs and symptoms as well as modalities.Take the case without bias or prejudice towards any specific remedy. Aim for objectivity.
The Importance of Potency And Dose In Acute Care
Acute respiratory infections tend to progress fast. The earlier you start the better you chances of staving off the illness and help your body recover. Every pathogen have it’s own signature and our response by way of signs and symptoms differs. Remember, highly virulent contagions that express strong affinity to the human host will generally present a similar disease picture, but keep in in mind the principle of individualization. Two different individuals may express somewhat different signs and symptoms. The selection of the correct, well-indicated remedy depends on the nuances of each and every case. Remedy choice is based on the similarity to the presented symptoms. The higher the similarity, the more effective the remedy. The ideal is in finding the Similimum.
Generally, the potencies I use in acutes range from 3C up to CM. For acutes (especially for inexperienced self-prescribers) a safe potency to start with is 30C. However, if there is no improvement after two-three hours, the case may require higher potencies as they work quicker than the lower dilutions. Home remedy kits contain only a select number of vials in 30C potency, which may not be sufficient enough to address the intensity of symptoms, but start dosing if that’s all you have at the onset of the illness. You may want to buy a customized remedy kit with a mix of 200C and 10M. It is important to commence administering the remedies as soon as you experience symptoms.
Dissolve 3-5 drops/granules in 1/2 glass of spring water. Stir well and give one teaspoon every two hours until symptoms begin to subside. Then reduce the frequency of dose repetition as condition continues to improve.
Homeopathic Remedy Guide With Keynotes
- sudden onset
- acute congestive type
- high fever
- high blood pressure, rapid pulse
- dry skin, burning thirst
- dry and painful cough, croup
- fear and restlessness, anxious look
- face hot, red, turning pale on rising
- acute onset following exposure to cold, dry winds, cold weather spells or after sweating
- red, watering, smarting eyes as if from onions
- bland eye discharge
- excoriating nasal discharge
- pain in larynx during cough
- feeling better in open air
- cases most common due to windy weather in autumn and winter
- one of the best remedies in respiratory infections
- burning sensation in throat, cough after every drink
- insatiable thirst for small amounts frequently
- scanty excoriating coryza
- restlessness with fear
- 1 a.m aggravation
- similar in action to Arsenicum album, especially the coryza type
- acrid, burning coryza and lacrymation
- want for open air
- excessive excoriating nasal discharge that corrodes the lip
- nose and lip picking until it bleeds
- soreness, body feels as if in parts scattered and wishes to collect them
- feels to sick to move, bed feels too hard
- deep prostration
- tongue thick coated with dark streak in the centre
- confused, stupid feeling, delirium
- besotted expression
- sudden onset of symptoms in mid-afternoon
- high fever
- flushed face
- bright staring eyes, dilated pupils
- bright red or glazed throat; sore throat
- great mental excitement, overactive, delirious
- throbbing headache in the carotids worse from jarring
- hot head, cold limbs
- jerks in sleep
- one of the most frequently indicated remedies in influenza and pneumonia
- feels tired, desire for quiet
- soreness in all the joints
- bursting, dull headache worse by motion
- dry, hacking, painful cough that hurst the head, chest or abdomen
- dry mouth, thirst for large amounts of water
- easy sweat
- sharp pains in chest
- all symptoms worse from motion, wants to lie down, better from lying on the painful side
- delurium (s/he wants to go home; talking of work)
- sudden and extreme prostration
- profuse sweating with alternation of heat and cold
- when hot – wishes to be covered; when cold – wants to be uncovered.
- Icy coldness of body parts
- bluish appearance
- in cases where suppressive means have made it worse
- burning in throat
- craving cold water, but chilly from drinking
- face and nose red but cold
- burning, smarting pains
- homesick feeling
- hoarseness, raw sensation in larynx and behind sternum
- hoarseness better from talking
- cough deep, dry, hard, better by drinking cold water
- escape of urine with cough
- difficulty expectorating
- complete loss of voice (aphonia)
- bluish face
- terrible colic
- cramps in calves and soles; clenching thumbs into palms
- icy coldness
- thin bloody discharge from nose and lungs
- suited to anxious types
- must be given in the early stages of illness
- body aches; as if the bones would break; pains in bones
- chilliness felt in the back
- thirst and sweat
- at the onset of illness
- give in prodromal stage when; symptoms are vague
- full, soft pulse
- face alternately red and pale
- mental excitement without fear nor restlessness
- bloody discharges
- fever without thirst
- drowsiness, red face; relaxed, tired and sore feeling
- heavy, drooping eyelids
- besotted look
- body feels heavy and aches
- chilliness in back
- thin, acrid coryza; sneezing
- thick speech
- bandlike headache
- trembling on rising
- low-grade delirium, hallucinations
- throwing off the covers, pick at bed linens, talk to people not present or sings
- face is pale
- dry lips, dry red tongue
- excessive thirst or none at all
- hemorrhages from everywhere of bright red blood
- nausea and clear tongue
- paroxysmal, suffocative cough, loose rattling in chest
- coughing so hard it causes gagging
- stuffy head cold, which clears up in open air
- throat is rough and scratchy
- acrid coryza, golden yellow discharge and nasal congestion, sneezing
- red face with fever
- chilliness on least motion or uncovering
- backache, must sit up to turn over
- dull headache
- overworked, irritable persons
- constipation with unsuccessful urging
- bluish skin, sensitive to touch
- left-sided sore throat, worse from empty swallowing, better from cold drinks
- strangling cough waking up immediately on falling asleep
- intolerance to touch, especially around throat
- delirium; loquacity; wants to go home or escape from bed
- tightness in chest with oppression
- rawness in air passages
- hard, dry hacking cough; worse lying on the left side
- hoarseness or cough worse in morning and evening
- sputum is rusty coloured and has salty or sweetish taste
- bloody expectoration
- thirst and craving for ice-cold drinks
- these cases tend to progress into pneumonia, but phosphorus will abort if given in the early stages
- suited to mild, yielding, tearful personalities
- weepy disposition; wants sympathy
- thick yellow or green nasal discharge
- thirstless with dry mouth; only drinks to moisten the mouth
- chilliness with want for open air
- symptoms tend to aggravate in the evening
- great soreness, aching, bruised feeling
- bed feels too hard
- prostration and restlessness
- pulse out of proportion to fever
- great restlessness, better from motion
- worse at night
- body feels sore, bruised, stiff, can’t find comfort in any position
- chilliness worse from least motion
- thirst for cold drinks
- red triangle at tip of tongue
- head and chest congested; face flushed, red lips, red ears, red heavy eyelids
- soles of feet burning hot, wants to put feet out of bed
- restless at night
- takes short naps
- chilliness running up the back
- empty, “all gone” feeling at 11 A.M.
- Consider in pneumonia
- prostration and collapse; fainting
- excessive vomiting
- face is deathly pale upon rising
- profuse cold sweat on forehead
Homeopathic Remedies In Pneumonia
- Antimonium tartricum:
- chest full of mucous, rattling in chest
- loose rattling cough
- mucous in larynx caused frequent coughing
- face blue; cool sweat
- Arsencium album (see above)
- Bryonia (see above)
- Carbo vegetabilis:
- vital force severely depleted
- blue, dusky face
- after loss of body fluids
- icy cold nose, breath, knees and legs
- great desire to be fanned
- dark think hemorrhages
- Hepar sulphur:
- suppurative state
- third stage of pneumonia
- croupy cough
- chilliness; can not tolerate the least draught or cold
- craving sour drinks
- hectic flush
- high fever
- great thirst
- Kali bichromicum:
- sinusitis; pressure at root of nose
- acrid, sticky, stringy nasal discharges – yellow/green
- cough from tickling in bronchi
- no fever
- sharp, wandering pains
- Kali carbonicum:
- pneumonia with sharp, sticking pains in lower right chest
- spasmodic cough, worse at 3 A.M.
- great weakness
- backache, legs weak and giving out
- easy sweat; cold
- Kali iodatum:
- large amounts of pus from nose after influenza
- chief remedy in tubercular meningitis
- right and left-sided sharp pains, pains under ribs
- neglected pneumonias
- distended abdomen
- fan-like motion of the wings of the nose
- worse from 4 to 8 P.M.
- Phosphorus (see above)
- Natrum sulphuricum:
- left-sided pneumonia with sharp pains, so painful one cries out
- green, frothy expectoration
These are basic tips for seasoned self-prescribers. Acute case management may be somewhat tricky. If you need furhter assistance, make sure you find a certified homeopath who can help you and guide you through this process.
There are many remedy kits available on the market, but the majority are pre-made and contain limited number of remedies in only one potency. For those who may be interested in acquiring a customized acute remedy in various potencies, please feel free to contact me.
- Black currant: Strong adaptogenic properties, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, immunomodulator. Contraindicated in presence of elevated cortisol levels/DHEA; Cushing’s disease or adrenal tumours.Note: avoid taking it at bedtime as it may interfere with sleep due to tonic/cortisone-like activity.
- Dog rose: Immunostimulation via the RES phagocytosis; re-equllibrates the protein profile; Upper respiratory infections; ENT indicated; mucousal inflammation; bronchitis, otitis, recurring tonsilitis, allergies; herpes.
- Sea buckthorn: Influenza, immunostimulator, respiratory infections.
Dosage: 2-3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
Use as prophylaxis in the beginning of October
- Oscillococcinum: a dose 2 x per month (no other remedies that day)
- Influenzinum 200C: 3-5 pellets 2 x per month (no other remedies that day)
- Pertussinum 200C: 3-5 pellets once per month (no other remedies that day)
- Black currant: 3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
- Dog rose: 3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
- Avoid unnecessary physical exertion and rest
- Drink plenty of spring water
- Keep on a light diet – home-made vegetable soup, bone broth, citrus fruit (adequate Vitamin C is essential). Being slightly hungry is better than being too full.
- No solid food until temperature is normal
- Plenty of air; keep the room ventilated and change the bed linens regularly
- be mindful of basic hygiene practices
- Wash hands with soap and water; wash hands before, during and after preparing food (meat).
- Wash hands after using the toilet and after changing diapers.
- Wash hands after touching animals and animal waste
- Wash hands after cough and sneeze in a tissue into your upper sleeve, not your hands. Dispose of use tissues in a waste bin.
- Avoid touching your face with unclean hands and touching objects after contaminating your hands.
- Keep your nails trimmed.
- Keep surfaces, door knobs clean by wiping with soapy water and 1:10 bleach solution.
- Wearing N95 mask is recommended to prevent the spread of air-borne contagions
The Lesser Known Clinical Success Of Homeopathy In Flu
- “Dean W. A. Pearson of Philadelphia collected 26,795 cases of influenza treated by homeopathic physicians with a mortality of 1.05%, while the average old school mortality is 30%.
- Thirty physicians in Connecticut responded to my request for data. They reported 6,602 cases with 55 deaths, which is less than 1%. In the transport service I had 81 cases on the way over. All recovered and were landed. Every man received homeopathic treatment. One ship lost 31 on the way. – H. A. Roberts, MD, Derby, Connecticut.
- In a plant of 8,000 workers we had only one death. The patients were not drugged to death. Gelsemium was practically the only remedy used. We used no aspirin and no vaccines. -Frank Wieland, MD, Chicago.
- I did not lose a single case of influenza; my death rate in the pneumonias was 2.1%. The salycilates, including aspirin and quinine, were almost the sole standbys of the old school and it was a common thing to hear them speaking of losing 60% of their pneumonias. -Dudley A. Williams, MD, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Fifteen hundred cases were reported at the Homeopathic Medical Society of the District of Columbia with but fifteen deaths. Recoveries in the National Homeopathic Hospital were 100%. -E. F. Sappington, M. D., Philadelphia.
- I have treated 1,000 cases of influenza. I have the records to show my work. I have no losses. Please give all credit to homeopathy and none to the Scotch-Irish-American! -T. A. McCann, MD, Dayton, Ohio.
- One physician in a Pittsburgh hospital asked a nurse if she knew anything better than what he was doing, because he was losing many cases. “Yes, Doctor, stop aspirin and go down to a homeopathic pharmacy, and get homeopathic remedies.” The Doctor replied: “But that is homeopathy.” “I know it, but the homeopathic doctors for whom I have nursed have not lost a single case.” -W. F. Edmundson, MD, Pittsburgh.”
Disclaimer: This is an educational article. It is not intended for diagnostic and/or treatment purposes. If users need medical advice, they should consult a doctor or other appropriate medical professional.