Did you know…
Gemmotherapy is a branch of phytotherapy. The name is derived from the Latin “gemmae”, which means bud, gem or jewel.
Embryological tissues of plants are used to promote tissue regeneration, organ support, and facilitate deep yet gentle detox by directing toxins Embryological tissues of plants are used to promote tissue regeneration, organ support, and facilitate deep yet gentle detox by directing toxins towards the organs of elimination.
Dr. Pol Henry, a Belgian homeopath conducted series of research studies on the properties of plant buds. His clinical findings were published and he gave this therapeutic approach the name “Phytothembryotherapie”.
This wonderful therapy was further adapted by Dr. Max Tetau, A French homeopath who renamed the discipline “Gemmotherapy”. It is flu and cold season. Two of the most commonly used gemmotherapy preparations are Black currant and Dog rose.
Black currant has been used for thousands of years. It was recommended by the abbot of Montaran in 1712 under the name “elixir of life”.
Therapeutic action: support longevity, potent tonic, stimulates cortico-steroid production,which makes it excellent for adrenal support, and regulates the pituitary function.
Black currant is a powerful immunomodulator, stimulates the metabolism, increases resistance; supports the kidneys, liver and pancreas. It has adaptogenic properties and is excellent support for individuals who have received corticosteriods for prolonged periods of time.
Prevents and removes the side effects of chemotherapy and other allopathic drugs. Can be used effectively in the prevention and treatment of influenza and other respiratory infections.
Dog rose: stimulates immunity via the RES phagocytosis, balances the protein profile, major ENT remedy, recurring localized infections, mucousal inflammation; suited for children with growth problems; tuberculinic terrain, children lacking immune defence; those who are “always ill”. Dog rose indicated in recurring tonsillitis, otitis and rhino-pharyngitis. It offers lung support and should be always considered in acute and chronic tracheo-bronchitis. Also indicated in Herpes 1 (simplex) & 2 (genital) as well as ocular herpes. Dog rose stimulates immune defenses (antiviral). For best results and to enhance it’s action, use in conjunction with other gemmotherapy preparations.
Mother Nature’s apothecary is full of wonderful remedies to help us re-gain and maintain health and vigor.
A Manual for Every Self-Prescribing Health Prepper
Prepared By Zara Bourgeois, B.Sc, CCH
The purpose of this manual is to arm every household with easy-to-follow comprehensive guide to the most common and effective homeopathic remedies with general guideline for self-prescribers. Highly virulent and potentially deadly respiratory viral strains, such as those causing COVID-19, have been of great concern.
It is always a good idea to be well prepared and stock up your home apothecary with a good arsenal of homeopathic remedies, gemmotherapy tinctures and supplements. Everyone knows that prophylaxis is best for preventing the oh so dreaded flu and common cold. But life happens!
This manual contains pearls and gems from my own practice as well as carefully curated material, based on statistically significant successes of homeopathic treatment in times of epidemic (see actual testimonials at the end).
From experience and observations we know that in influenza epidemics one remedy will cover the majority of cases in a certain geographic area, while a different remedy may prove to be the Genus epidemicus in a different locality. This indicated remedy is not a constant. After a few weeks the symptoms may change and call for another remedy. There are also occasional cases where other remedies will be required. The Genus epidemicus also has seasonal variation. The best prescribers are those who take the case on thorough observation and not on symptoms alone. If you take the case on symptoms alone you may end up confused as you discover how many of our homeopathics present with great degree of similarity in common symptoms. Remedy differentiation relies on accessing the individual’s particular case and accounting for the peculiar signs and symptoms as well as modalities.Take the case without bias or prejudice towards any specific remedy. Aim for objectivity.
The Importance of Potency And Dose In Acute Care
Acute respiratory infections tend to progress fast. The earlier you start the better you chances of staving off the illness and help your body recover. Every pathogen have it’s own signature and our response by way of signs and symptoms differs. Remember, highly virulent contagions that express strong affinity to the human host will generally present a similar disease picture, but keep in in mind the principle of individualization. Two different individuals may express somewhat different signs and symptoms. The selection of the correct, well-indicated remedy depends on the nuances of each and every case. Remedy choice is based on the similarity to the presented symptoms. The higher the similarity, the more effective the remedy. The ideal is in finding the Similimum.
Generally, the potencies I use in acutes range from 3C up to CM. For acutes (especially for inexperienced self-prescribers) a safe potency to start with is 30C. However, if there is no improvement after two-three hours, the case may require higher potencies as they work quicker than the lower dilutions. Home remedy kits contain only a select number of vials in 30C potency, which may not be sufficient enough to address the intensity of symptoms, but start dosing if that’s all you have at the onset of the illness. You may want to buy a customized remedy kit with a mix of 200C and 10M. It is important to commence administering the remedies as soon as you experience symptoms.
Dissolve 3-5 drops/granules in 1/2 glass of spring water. Stir well and give one teaspoon every two hours until symptoms begin to subside. Then reduce the frequency of dose repetition as condition continues to improve.
Homeopathic Remedy Guide With Keynotes
- sudden onset
- acute congestive type
- high fever
- high blood pressure, rapid pulse
- dry skin, burning thirst
- dry and painful cough, croup
- fear and restlessness, anxious look
- face hot, red, turning pale on rising
- acute onset following exposure to cold, dry winds, cold weather spells or after sweating
- red, watering, smarting eyes as if from onions
- bland eye discharge
- excoriating nasal discharge
- pain in larynx during cough
- feeling better in open air
- cases most common due to windy weather in autumn and winter
- one of the best remedies in respiratory infections
- burning sensation in throat, cough after every drink
- insatiable thirst for small amounts frequently
- scanty excoriating coryza
- restlessness with fear
- 1 a.m aggravation
- similar in action to Arsenicum album, especially the coryza type
- acrid, burning coryza and lacrymation
- want for open air
- excessive excoriating nasal discharge that corrodes the lip
- nose and lip picking until it bleeds
- soreness, body feels as if in parts scattered and wishes to collect them
- feels to sick to move, bed feels too hard
- deep prostration
- tongue thick coated with dark streak in the centre
- confused, stupid feeling, delirium
- besotted expression
- sudden onset of symptoms in mid-afternoon
- high fever
- flushed face
- bright staring eyes, dilated pupils
- bright red or glazed throat; sore throat
- great mental excitement, overactive, delirious
- throbbing headache in the carotids worse from jarring
- hot head, cold limbs
- jerks in sleep
- one of the most frequently indicated remedies in influenza and pneumonia
- feels tired, desire for quiet
- soreness in all the joints
- bursting, dull headache worse by motion
- dry, hacking, painful cough that hurst the head, chest or abdomen
- dry mouth, thirst for large amounts of water
- easy sweat
- sharp pains in chest
- all symptoms worse from motion, wants to lie down, better from lying on the painful side
- delurium (s/he wants to go home; talking of work)
- sudden and extreme prostration
- profuse sweating with alternation of heat and cold
- when hot – wishes to be covered; when cold – wants to be uncovered.
- Icy coldness of body parts
- bluish appearance
- in cases where suppressive means have made it worse
- burning in throat
- craving cold water, but chilly from drinking
- face and nose red but cold
- burning, smarting pains
- homesick feeling
- hoarseness, raw sensation in larynx and behind sternum
- hoarseness better from talking
- cough deep, dry, hard, better by drinking cold water
- escape of urine with cough
- difficulty expectorating
- complete loss of voice (aphonia)
- bluish face
- terrible colic
- cramps in calves and soles; clenching thumbs into palms
- icy coldness
- thin bloody discharge from nose and lungs
- suited to anxious types
- must be given in the early stages of illness
- body aches; as if the bones would break; pains in bones
- chilliness felt in the back
- thirst and sweat
- at the onset of illness
- give in prodromal stage when; symptoms are vague
- full, soft pulse
- face alternately red and pale
- mental excitement without fear nor restlessness
- bloody discharges
- fever without thirst
- drowsiness, red face; relaxed, tired and sore feeling
- heavy, drooping eyelids
- besotted look
- body feels heavy and aches
- chilliness in back
- thin, acrid coryza; sneezing
- thick speech
- bandlike headache
- trembling on rising
- low-grade delirium, hallucinations
- throwing off the covers, pick at bed linens, talk to people not present or sings
- face is pale
- dry lips, dry red tongue
- excessive thirst or none at all
- hemorrhages from everywhere of bright red blood
- nausea and clear tongue
- paroxysmal, suffocative cough, loose rattling in chest
- coughing so hard it causes gagging
- stuffy head cold, which clears up in open air
- throat is rough and scratchy
- acrid coryza, golden yellow discharge and nasal congestion, sneezing
- red face with fever
- chilliness on least motion or uncovering
- backache, must sit up to turn over
- dull headache
- overworked, irritable persons
- constipation with unsuccessful urging
- bluish skin, sensitive to touch
- left-sided sore throat, worse from empty swallowing, better from cold drinks
- strangling cough waking up immediately on falling asleep
- intolerance to touch, especially around throat
- delirium; loquacity; wants to go home or escape from bed
- tightness in chest with oppression
- rawness in air passages
- hard, dry hacking cough; worse lying on the left side
- hoarseness or cough worse in morning and evening
- sputum is rusty coloured and has salty or sweetish taste
- bloody expectoration
- thirst and craving for ice-cold drinks
- these cases tend to progress into pneumonia, but phosphorus will abort if given in the early stages
- suited to mild, yielding, tearful personalities
- weepy disposition; wants sympathy
- thick yellow or green nasal discharge
- thirstless with dry mouth; only drinks to moisten the mouth
- chilliness with want for open air
- symptoms tend to aggravate in the evening
- great soreness, aching, bruised feeling
- bed feels too hard
- prostration and restlessness
- pulse out of proportion to fever
- great restlessness, better from motion
- worse at night
- body feels sore, bruised, stiff, can’t find comfort in any position
- chilliness worse from least motion
- thirst for cold drinks
- red triangle at tip of tongue
- head and chest congested; face flushed, red lips, red ears, red heavy eyelids
- soles of feet burning hot, wants to put feet out of bed
- restless at night
- takes short naps
- chilliness running up the back
- empty, “all gone” feeling at 11 A.M.
- Consider in pneumonia
- prostration and collapse; fainting
- excessive vomiting
- face is deathly pale upon rising
- profuse cold sweat on forehead
Homeopathic Remedies In Pneumonia
- Antimonium tartricum:
- chest full of mucous, rattling in chest
- loose rattling cough
- mucous in larynx caused frequent coughing
- face blue; cool sweat
- Arsencium album (see above)
- Bryonia (see above)
- Carbo vegetabilis:
- vital force severely depleted
- blue, dusky face
- after loss of body fluids
- icy cold nose, breath, knees and legs
- great desire to be fanned
- dark think hemorrhages
- Hepar sulphur:
- suppurative state
- third stage of pneumonia
- croupy cough
- chilliness; can not tolerate the least draught or cold
- craving sour drinks
- hectic flush
- high fever
- great thirst
- Kali bichromicum:
- sinusitis; pressure at root of nose
- acrid, sticky, stringy nasal discharges – yellow/green
- cough from tickling in bronchi
- no fever
- sharp, wandering pains
- Kali carbonicum:
- pneumonia with sharp, sticking pains in lower right chest
- spasmodic cough, worse at 3 A.M.
- great weakness
- backache, legs weak and giving out
- easy sweat; cold
- Kali iodatum:
- large amounts of pus from nose after influenza
- chief remedy in tubercular meningitis
- right and left-sided sharp pains, pains under ribs
- neglected pneumonias
- distended abdomen
- fan-like motion of the wings of the nose
- worse from 4 to 8 P.M.
- Phosphorus (see above)
- Natrum sulphuricum:
- left-sided pneumonia with sharp pains, so painful one cries out
- green, frothy expectoration
These are basic tips for seasoned self-prescribers. Acute case management may be somewhat tricky. If you need furhter assistance, make sure you find a certified homeopath who can help you and guide you through this process.
There are many remedy kits available on the market, but the majority are pre-made and contain limited number of remedies in only one potency. For those who may be interested in acquiring a customized acute remedy in various potencies, please feel free to contact me.
- Black currant: Strong adaptogenic properties, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, immunomodulator. Contraindicated in presence of elevated cortisol levels/DHEA; Cushing’s disease or adrenal tumours.Note: avoid taking it at bedtime as it may interfere with sleep due to tonic/cortisone-like activity.
- Dog rose: Immunostimulation via the RES phagocytosis; re-equllibrates the protein profile; Upper respiratory infections; ENT indicated; mucousal inflammation; bronchitis, otitis, recurring tonsilitis, allergies; herpes.
- Sea buckthorn: Influenza, immunostimulator, respiratory infections.
Dosage: 2-3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
Use as prophylaxis in the beginning of October
- Oscillococcinum: a dose 2 x per month (no other remedies that day)
- Influenzinum 200C: 3-5 pellets 2 x per month (no other remedies that day)
- Pertussinum 200C: 3-5 pellets once per month (no other remedies that day)
- Black currant: 3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
- Dog rose: 3 drops in 1 cup of water 3 x daily
- Avoid unnecessary physical exertion and rest
- Drink plenty of spring water
- Keep on a light diet – home-made vegetable soup, bone broth, citrus fruit (adequate Vitamin C is essential). Being slightly hungry is better than being too full.
- No solid food until temperature is normal
- Plenty of air; keep the room ventilated and change the bed linens regularly
- be mindful of basic hygiene practices
- Wash hands with soap and water; wash hands before, during and after preparing food (meat).
- Wash hands after using the toilet and after changing diapers.
- Wash hands after touching animals and animal waste
- Wash hands after cough and sneeze in a tissue into your upper sleeve, not your hands. Dispose of use tissues in a waste bin.
- Avoid touching your face with unclean hands and touching objects after contaminating your hands.
- Keep your nails trimmed.
- Keep surfaces, door knobs clean by wiping with soapy water and 1:10 bleach solution.
- Wearing N95 mask is recommended to prevent the spread of air-borne contagions
The Lesser Known Clinical Success Of Homeopathy In Flu
- “Dean W. A. Pearson of Philadelphia collected 26,795 cases of influenza treated by homeopathic physicians with a mortality of 1.05%, while the average old school mortality is 30%.
- Thirty physicians in Connecticut responded to my request for data. They reported 6,602 cases with 55 deaths, which is less than 1%. In the transport service I had 81 cases on the way over. All recovered and were landed. Every man received homeopathic treatment. One ship lost 31 on the way. – H. A. Roberts, MD, Derby, Connecticut.
- In a plant of 8,000 workers we had only one death. The patients were not drugged to death. Gelsemium was practically the only remedy used. We used no aspirin and no vaccines. -Frank Wieland, MD, Chicago.
- I did not lose a single case of influenza; my death rate in the pneumonias was 2.1%. The salycilates, including aspirin and quinine, were almost the sole standbys of the old school and it was a common thing to hear them speaking of losing 60% of their pneumonias. -Dudley A. Williams, MD, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Fifteen hundred cases were reported at the Homeopathic Medical Society of the District of Columbia with but fifteen deaths. Recoveries in the National Homeopathic Hospital were 100%. -E. F. Sappington, M. D., Philadelphia.
- I have treated 1,000 cases of influenza. I have the records to show my work. I have no losses. Please give all credit to homeopathy and none to the Scotch-Irish-American! -T. A. McCann, MD, Dayton, Ohio.
- One physician in a Pittsburgh hospital asked a nurse if she knew anything better than what he was doing, because he was losing many cases. “Yes, Doctor, stop aspirin and go down to a homeopathic pharmacy, and get homeopathic remedies.” The Doctor replied: “But that is homeopathy.” “I know it, but the homeopathic doctors for whom I have nursed have not lost a single case.” -W. F. Edmundson, MD, Pittsburgh.”
Disclaimer: This is an educational article. It is not intended for diagnostic and/or treatment purposes. If users need medical advice, they should consult a doctor or other appropriate medical professional.
The catalogue of human diseases has been expanding with extremely alarming rates over the past century creating an epidemic of manmade iatrogenesis.
The era of industrial and agricultural mechanization has marked the beginning of a new stage in the history of human civilization. And so did the pharmaceutical industry by monopolizing the healthcare system. Healthcare is not about curing diseases. It is about masking symptoms through the administration of petrochemical drugs and invasive procedures, which as a result unleashes the dormant inherent predispositions and further weakens the constitution to create life-long customers for the pharmaceutical profit driven cartels.
We live in a chemical-laden environment. Our natural habitat being chronically poisoned is steadily drifting away from the optimal conditions that are an absolute pre-requisite for maintaining good health of all life within its limits.
We are fixated on eliminating mild natural illnesses, which natural design is to prime the immune system and prevent much more impactful and even lethal chronic maladies later in life. Yet, we have adopted the norm of manmade diseases induced by unnatural, unphysiological and ultimately harmful synthetic drugs, invasive surgeries, chemical-laden food, contaminated water and air. By forcefully inflicting change upon our ecosystem we must accept the inevitable consequences that come with that decision. And they are not promising.
Pathogens are becoming more resilient and virulent. Diseases are reaching a peak of resistance to the point of incurability, where only mere palliation is deemed possible. There are too many obstacles for a true cure to take place.
We need to come to terms with a simple truth. That is no amount of positive thinking and belief that organic food, clean water, natural therapies, nutritional supplements and such are going to help us unless we remove the maintaining causes that excited the dis-ease in the first place.
Perhaps, instead of perpetually seeking for “new revolutionary cures” for the entire catalogue of maladies we have created for ourselves, it would be wiser to take a step back and correct the residue of our own wrongdoing.
Let’s begin at the beginning then.
Article by Zara Bourgeois, CCH(cand)
Homeopathy is highly effective in the treatment of even the most persistent skin affections.
One of the most frustrating experiences for parents is dealing with a stubborn diaper rash. Temporary diaper rash could be associated with teething. Chronic nappy rash could be caused by overgrowth of Candida albicans (also is baby has been given antibiotics or through breast milk if the mother has been on antibiotics) in the moist, poorly aerated area beneath the diaper and is often transmitted to a child by skin to skin contact with an infected adult. Baby’s buttocks, thighs and genitals become red, sore, spotty, itchy and weepy.
Homeopathic remedies should be taken internally in combination with mild plant-based ointments. There are a number of over the counter diaper rash creams, but most conventional formulations are zinc oxide-based and should be avoided. Those are not only suppressive, but may pose certain risks to the child’s health in the long term. For more details on the safety and side effects of zinc oxide visit: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/zinc-oxide-cream.html
There are different lines of natural diaper ointments based on herbal formulas and homeopathic creams containing low potency preparations of herbs with known anti-septic and anti-inflammatory healing properties.
Calendula or Symphytum-based creams can be purchased at any health food store or natural pharmacy.
Homeopathic remedies for internal use:
Skin eruption, area is red, raw, inflamed and prone to bleeding.
Diaper rash in a chubby baby who suffers from profuse head sweating at night.
Skin rash with bright red colour especially around the anus. The area is very itchy with burning sensation. The skin can become raw, break open and bleed. The child will aggravate from taking a hot bath. Keep the baby as cool as possible.
The affected area is very tender and sensitive to touch and so is the the child emotionally. The skin may ooze pus with old rotten cheese kind of smell. Warm bath ameliorates. The child tends to be chilly and can not tolerate the touch of cold hands.
The affected area is extremely sensitive, raw, burning, itchy and difficult to heal, especially in the folds and around the scrotum. The skin may crack and bleed. Keep the area well aired, clean and dry. It is best if baby can go without a diaper. The child is very irritable.
The skin rash is in the folds of the skin. It tends to be raw, inflamed, dry, cracked and itchy. If there is thick, honey coloured oozing form the affected area and the presence of yellow crust – think of Graphites. The child will not want a warm bath as it aggravates.
Some useful tips:
- Change the diaper more frequently to ensure the area is always clean and dry.
- Wash the baby’s bottom with mild organic soap and lukewarm water, pat dry with clean sterile cotton towel and apply Calendula cream. Do not use wet wipes unless you have no access to soap and water at the moment. Do not smear the excrement around the affected and already inflamed area.
- Do wash your hands immediately after changing diapers and be careful if you are aware of having yeast infection as it can be transmitted to the baby through skin to skin contact.
- Allow the baby to spend as much time as possible out of diapers provided the room is warm and dry.
- If breast feeding the mother is encouraged to exclude sweets and sugar from her diet. Also remove fresh fruit, fruit pouches and acidic food from baby’s diet as those make for acrid and excoriating excrements causing irritation and prevent speedy healing.
- If symptoms persist consult your family physician
Article is courtesy of Zara Bourgeois, DIHom(pact.), CCH(cand.)
Homeopathy and the CCH standard
Today I want to share with my clients and colleagues a new milestone in my professional path as a homeopath. After almost 13 years since the beginning of my journey, hundreds of hours of studying, tireless volunteering, planning and establishing a practice I have finally took on the challenge to attest my commitment to homeopathy before the world. I am pleased to share the exciting news of my success at the initial stage of becoming a registered board-certified Homeopath with the Council of Homeopathic Certification – the highest degree of professional recognition and standard of practice.
Why is the CCH (Certified Classical Homeopath) designation important?
Every field of work has certain code of standards and requirements, that are in place for the purpose of establishing, regulating and maintaining the proficiency of those who exercise it at a professional level. It ensures that there is consistency and uniformity of expertise amongst its members and promotes those benefits for the betterment of the relationship between professionals and clients.
The CCH membership provides access to a wide network and a national directory of qualified homeopaths and a great referral service for clients who want to consult with board-certified practitioners. It also gives the homeopaths the advantage of working alongside with insurance companies that require CCH credentials for insurance claim approvals.
The CCH designation strengthens the public view of the homeopathic profession through acknowledgement of a unified national standard.
For more information visit here: Council for Homeopathic Certification (CHC)
Did you know that more and more health insurance providers now offer extended health care plans that cover homeopathy?
While the national health care plan does not cover Homeopathy there are many private extended health plans that would pay for your consultation and/or homeopathic medicines.
All you have to do is obtain a receipt for services rendered by a professional homeopath and submit the claim along with the appropriate claim form.
That being said, even if the cost of your treatment is not covered you should consider the fact that the benefits of Homeopathy as highly successful holistic modality are totally worth the minimal investment into your health and well-being. It will save you from experiencing the dreadful side effects of conventional drugs, the toll of expensive invasive allopathic treatments and the disappointments to regain health in a natural, safe, gentle and permanent way. At the end the long-term benefits of eliminating your problems and the ultimate goal of securing optimal health have no price tag.
Although I have a set consult fee schedule, my practice is built upon the basis of true care and compassion, thus the “no patient left behind” policy applies to clients with low income and financial difficulties. If you want to commence homeopathic treatment, but your financial circumstances make it difficult, please contact me to discuss available treatment options.
Courtesy of: Zara Bourgeois, CCH (cand.), DIHom(pract.)
Thirteen things to bring in your hospital bag
If you are planning to have a hospital birth, then it is a good idea to start packing 4-5 weeks in advance to ensure you have plenty of time to plan your hospital bag essential items list. This will allow you to prepare everything you need without stressing out and making urgent last minute trips to the store.
Those thirteen items will make your hospital birth experience more comfortable and smooth knowing you have the things you need at hand when you need them:
- Birth plan: make sure you draft your birth plan well in advance. Keep it short and to the point. Make sure it is written clearly providing concise and specific details about your particular wishes.
- Your birthing homeopathy kit. There are a number of birthing kits available for purchase on line or you can always talk to your family homeopath for putting one together for you. My next blog entry will be dedicated to explaining the benefits of having a homeopathic kit on hand and will give list of the most common homeopathic remedies in a birthing kit. Having well trained professional medical crew available should the need arise is always a comforting idea. Having a homeopathic kit on hand will prove indispensable and will make your birthing experience tenfold easier and smoother. Arnica and Calendula are the absolute must. Make sure you use alcohol free products for topical application or if using mother tinctures, ensure those are diluted into milder solutions to avoid irritation of affected parts.
- Bring a nightgown. Make sure you pack a comfortable and soft (cotton is best) nightgown. I always find that wearing your own gown feels much better than borrowing one from the hospital. Bring an extra one if you need to change.
- Underwear and sanitary pads. You can never have enough of those. You will need them after the delivery. Most hospitals provide heavy duty sanitary pads. Those are great, but make sure you bring an extra package just in case. Some women experience bladder control issues. It might not be a bad idea to pack a few adult diapers. There is no shame in using those, but you will be grateful for adding them on your hospital bag list.
- Nursing bras and other nursing essentials. A comfortable nursing bra is going to become a big part of your everyday if you choose to breastfeed your little one, which is always the best choice for you and your baby. I will discuss more in depth the benefits nursing has for you and your newborn in a separate post. For now, all we need to focus on is making sure you have what it takes during those first few days in the hospital. Again, a comfortable nursing bra, lanolin (for sore nipples, if needed), homeopathic remedies for lactation (if needed), nursing pads and lots of patience and love will get you through those first hours with your little bundle of joy.
- Warm socks and a sweater. Hospitals can be a bit chilly as they are generally well air conditioned. Giving birth is the most natural process, but is is a big challenge and your body will experience a certain degree of shock. It is a good idea to pack an exrta pair of warm socks and a sweater in case you feel a bit chilled. Keeping warm will help you relax and get the so much needed sleep you have been craving for weeks.
- Toiletries. Those are generally one of the easiest things to pack. As long as you have your toothbrush and paste, a hair brush, some basic make up and I would add a mild veggie soap bar – that’s all you need.
- Baby outfits. Do not overpack. Bringing 2-3 outfits is probably plenty. Make sure you bring warm clothes and a blanket for the little one. Keep in mind their little bodies are still adjusting to the world outside and making sure they are warm will bring them extra comfort.
- Car seat. Hospitals today have certain safety requirements and one of them is a car seat for the little one. Make sure you bring your baby’s car seat to the hospital for the day he/she will make that first trip home.
- Camera. Bring a camera to capture those precious first moments when baby is born. You will love looking back at them from time to time. They make a lovely keepsake and preserves those unforgettable memories for generations to come.
- Ipod. Listening to music can help you relax and improve the quality of your sleep. It is a good idea to bring an audio device containing your favourite tunes. It certainly won’t harm if you do.
- Clothes for daddy. Make sure you leave some room for clothes and toiletries for your partner. He will need those if f he is staying with you at the hospital.
- Snacks. You might not feel like eating and drinking while in labour, but it is likely your appetite will come back shortly after the big feat. It is a good idea to bring some healthy snacks and refreshments for yourself and your partner.
Birthing is a challenging task, but the reward at the end of it is so much worth it! Keep calm, stay positive and focused. Seek help from your partner, family and friends. It always helps when our closest people are there for us to give us help and support and sometimes, just to tell us that everything is going to be fine…
Written by Zara Bourgeois, DIHom(pact.)
Strep B bacteria are more common than you might think. There are more than 90 strains known today. They are different than the bacteria causing strep throat and are often found in the vagina, rectum or the bladder. Infections from Strep B are generally not serious for a woman in good health. However, the picture is quite different for pregnant women since there is no guaranteed way to ensure the infection will not be passed to the newborn at the time of birth and cause serious complications if left untreated.
It is actually very common that women can have these bacteria in their bodies without knowing as there are no apparent signs and symptoms. According to the statistics about 15-40% of all pregnant women are Strep B positive and between 40-70% of those mothers pass the bacteria onto their babies during birth. Most babies remain unaffected by this pathogen and only 1-2% will develop some degree of mild to severe complication affecting their brain, lungs, blood and spinal cord.
Some doctors prefer to routinely test their patients between 35 and 37th gestational week and if the culture test turns positive, the conventional mode of treatment resorts to administering antibiotics when the mother goes into labour or when the membranes rupture.
Did you know that homeopathy can be extremely effective in treating Strep infections?
Streptococcinum is a nosode prepared from lysate of the S. Pyrogenes strain. It has been employed as homeopathic medicine for the first time in the 19th century based on clinical indications. The best description can be found in the works of Dr. Foubister and O.A. Julian with examples of cured cases.
In my practice I work with clients who are seeking natural solution and elimination of Strep B infection. The treatment protocol I use for my pregnant clients is based on years of clinical experience and has proven high success rates and excellent results.
The Strep B pregnancy protocol is designed to significantly reduce and eliminate the Strep B colonization and ultimately leave the patient free of the pathogen, which would be reflected in a negative test. This eliminates the need for administering antibiotics to the labouring mother and negates the risk of potential complications in the newborn.
The protocol is easy to follow, however, I strongly advise against attempting to self-prescribe since every case is different and the treatment should be tailored based on the particular circumstances of each and every client. Always consult with a professional homeopath who will be able to obtain your full clinical picture and assign approapriate treatment schedule based on your needs.
Supporting the spleen and the liver as well as selecting medicines that will control the replication of Strep bacteria are important part of the treatment.
Some of the homeopathic remedies I use in treating Strep B infections in pregnancy include Belladonna, Streptococcinum and Ceanothus americanus as a spleen support. This homeopathic protocol is to be applied in the last trimester of pregnancy and the first weeks following birth. For more information on selecting the right potency and how to successfully employ this protocol in pregnancy consult an experienced homeopath.
Written by Zara Bourgeois, DIHom(pact.)
A great number of illnesses are caused by infestation, infection, and replication of disease-causing pathogens, such as bacteria and viruses.
It is well known that we are 90% bacteria and 10% human. The flora of the human body is a diverse microbiome and our health hinges on its complex balance.
Most bacteria are harmless and, in a state of health, the body’s defenses are working adequately to keep the bad pathogens at bay. It is during times of stress, trauma, injury, or other underlying conditions when the human body becomes a favorable host for replication of those pathogenic organism leading to related illnesses and complications.
Bacteria are single-celled microorganisms able to survive in diverse types of environments and can be transmitted through direct or indirect contact from an existing reservoir of infectious bacteria.
Direct contact transmission occurs when a person comes into contact with the source of bacteria via touching infected bodily fluids, especially when the integrity of the skin is compromised (e.g. Cuts, open wounds, abrasions, etc). Another form of contamination through direct contact is by inhaling bacterial particles emitted by another individual through coughing and sneezing. Insect and animal bites are a possible way of direct transmission of pathogens into the host. One of the most common modes of transmitting bacteria is through sexual contact.
Certain types of bacteria possess the resilience to survive outside of the host of extended period of time. Indirect bacterial infection occurs when a person comes into contact with such pathogens. Most common ways of indirect transmission is through contact with contaminated surfaces, such as door knobs, furniture, handles, toys, gyms, pools, public transport, consumption of contaminated food or water, etc. Those modes of bacterial contamination are also known as horizontal transmission, where pathogens are exchanged between two or more living persons in the same generation.
The other mode of bacterial transmission, also known as vertical, occurs when the infection is passed from mother to child in utero or during childbirth.
In my next post I will be talking about the most common bacterial infections in pregnancy, caused by the Streptococcus genus and will be providing insights and tips about its successful homeopathic treatment. Stay tuned!
Article by Zara Bourgeois, DIHom(pact.)
Summer is finally here! There are tons of fun activities you can embark on with family and friends. It is the season of camping in the mountains, taking the kids for a nice long hike in the woods , harvesting the warmth of the sun at the sandy beaches or planning on exciting trip to a distant land. And while it is absolutely imperative that you dive into the fun, it is always a good idea to play hard, but smart and keep in mind that accidents happen. Having a good homeopathy first aid kit is a great addition to your home medicine cabinet and proof itself extremely useful when you least expect it.
Homeopathic prescribing and management of chronic cases require years of proper training and experience. This is due to the fact that homeopathy being a strictly individualized holistic approach treats the patient based on their own peculiar physiological and psychological signs and symptoms as well as the etiology of their complaints. This means that two different individuals with the same diagnosis yet different symptoms would need different homeopathic prescriptions in order to match the state of their illness.
However, learning the basics of acute prescribing is relatively simple and easy. People experiencing mechanical traumas and injuries generally exhibit the same signs and symptoms and homeopathic prescription is specific to the compromised physical parts rather than the nuanced subtleties of the patient himself. Homeopathic medicines are a great choice in first aid situations and sport injuries. They are extremely effective in reducing the pain and speeding the healing process. Always consult a medical doctor or call 911 in case of emergency.
The choice of potency and frequencey of repetition are another aspect of mastering the skills of acute prescribing. Generally, for beginners I would recommend to start with low and medium potencies, such as 6C, 9C, 12C and 30C. As you become more confident in self-prescribing you will find that 200C and 1M can work wonders when the remedy is well indicated. The frequency of repetition depends on the severeity of the problem. Sometimes more frequent repetition is required in order to affect a change and speed up recovery. Give a dose every 15-30 min to 2 hours and less frequent once improvment settles.
The following list of homeopathic medicines are indispensable allies in first aid situations:
ARNICA (Arnica montana)
Arnica is the most common remedy prescribed in trauma and injury. It is a medicine par excellence when there is a case of injury with a state of shock. It helps relief pain, bruising and swelling of tissues, minimizes bleeding and acts as a healing agent speeding up the process of tissue regeneration. Arnica is an excellent choice before and after surgery, dental work, in childbirth to help minimize the shock and stress of the those traumatic events.
CALENDULA (Calendula officinalis)
The marigold is an excellent medicine often used in form of mother tincture, spray, gel and ointment and is well known for its powerful antiseptic properties due to its natural iodine content. Calendula is indispensable aid in treating wounds, cuts and skin abrasions via topical application. It helps with cleansing the affected area, prevent infection, reduce and stop bleeding and promote tissue granulation for speedy healing of wounds and burns. The tincture should not be applied directly on open wounds or in contact with mucous membranes as its alcohol content would cause burning and stinging pain. Always dilute the tincture with water before direct application.
HYPERICUM (Hypericum perforatum)
This remedy is known as the Arnica of the nerves. It is of great value in injuries and traumas to the spine and where there has been nerve damage. It is recommended for external application in treating infected wounds and is known for speeding the healing of deep open cuts, which often might prevent the need for stitches.
LEDUM (Ledum palustre)
This is our #1 remedy for puncture wounds resulting from a nail, needle or other sharp objects. Deep wounds caused by rusty nails should always be referred for further medical attention, but taking Ledum immediately will help heal the wound faster and prevent tetanus. It is also indicated in cases of severe bruising of the tissues when the affected parts feel cold and are ameliorated by cold applications. Ledum is effective in treating stings from insects and animal bites.
Rhus is found to be very effective in treating sprains and strains, where there is rupturing of the tendons, ligaments and fasciae. The patient is usually worse upon getting up and moving around and progressively improves as they continue to move. Limbs feel stiff and paralyzed. It is prescribed in joint dislocations alongside with Arnica. Rhus is a great medicine for some skin conditions associated with redness, swelling, burning and intense itching with tendency to scale formation.
Urtica is one of the best choices when it comes to cases of burns. It reduces the pain and promotes speedy healing. Urtica mother tincture is to be diluted in water prior to being topically applied (e.g. 1 part MT to 10 parts of water).
Known as the “bone glue” in homeopathy, Symphytum is invaluable in treating fractures. It promotes rapid healing of fractured bones, therefore in order to ensure the bones grow back together properly, one must go to a doctor to have the fracture re-set and placed in a cast before administering Symphytum. It is a remedy to consider in facial injuries.
This article is courtesy of Zara Bourgeois, DIHom(pract.)